In this article, you’ll learn about the double opt-in process and how to use it.
How double opt-in works
The double opt-in process includes two steps. In step 1, a potential subscriber fills out and submits your online signup form. In step 2, they’ll receive a confirmation email and click a link to verify their email, which is added to your Mailchimp audience.
Turn on double opt-in
You can choose to enable double opt-in when you create a new audience in Mailchimp. If you have an existing audience, go to your audience settings to turn on double opt-in. Or, if you have multiple audiences, you can make global changes on the Opt-In Settings page. View subscriber activity for individual audiences in your account to determine if any of them may benefit from the double opt-in process, which can help improve open rates.
- Double opt-in can only be enabled for Mailchimp signup forms. If you need help with a form integration or the API, contact your developer, or hire a Mailchimp Expert.
- If your primary contact address is in the EU, some of your audiences may already use double opt-in. If you prefer to use single opt-in, you can make that change in each audience’s settings or on the Opt-In Settings page.
Customize the double opt-in process
You can customize your double opt-in process in the Forms and response emails section of Mailchimp’s Form Builder.
Think of these documents as your opportunity to onboard new subscribers and introduce them to your brand. You can add branded assets and custom text to your form, or enable a welcome email with a coupon or special offer for new subscribers.
These messages are included in the double opt-in process.
- Signup form The signup form is the first experience your potential subscribers will have with your brand. They’ll fill out the form and click to submit it.
- reCAPTCHA confirmation After someone fills out your signup form, they’ll need to check a reCAPTCHA box. This required step keeps spambots from adding fake data to your audience, and can’t be turned off or edited.
- Signup thank you page This page tells your potential subscriber to check their email for a confirmation message. If you don’t want us to show this page, redirect to a custom signup thank you page on your website.
- Opt-in confirmation email The confirmation email contains a unique URL that your potential subscriber must click before we can add them to your audience as a subscribed contact. Customize the text and design of the email to match your organization’s branding and style.
- Confirmation thank you page Subscribers see this page after they’ve clicked to verify their email address. You can also redirect to a custom confirmation page on your website.
- Final welcome email This optional email is disabled by default, but you can enable a welcome email at any time. We’ll deliver this email after a subscriber confirms their subscription and sees the confirmation thank you page. Some people use this message to send their new subscribers a welcome message, coupons or promo codes. You can also accomplish this with an Automated Welcome Email or email series.